Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's not easy eating green

Hey y'all

I had a great, green day today. I wasn't the best at documenting my meals today and by that I mean food photography is tough.

I started the day with some delicious zucchini pancakes. This one looks kind of like a heart.


I made more spinach tortellini with a really good homemade green sauce. I've been told to include the recipe, so here goes! It's from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking.


Spring Asparagus Puree:
1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed and halved crosswise
3 handfuls baby spinach leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1 cup toasted pine nuts (I used walnuts this time because I had no pine nuts and it tasted the same)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for topping
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring a medium size pot of water to a rolling boil. Salt the water and drop the spears into the pot. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes, or until the spears are bright green and barely tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor or blender. Add the spinach, garlic, the 1 cup Parmesan, and 3/4 cup of the pine nuts. Puree and, with the motor running, drizzle the 1/4 cup olive oil until a paste forms. It should be the loose consistency of a pesto; if too think, thin it with a bit of the pasta water. Add the lemon juice and salt, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Use with any type of pasta, and top it with the rest of the pine nuts, a sprinkle of Parmesan, and a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

As I already said, today my improv class went for pancakes (not green) so I had a green tea to make up for it. (Photo cred: The lovely Jennifer Matotek)


I had an avocado when I got home, but the picture is abysmal. You all know what an avocado looks like.

I finished off the day with a watermelon flavored salt water taffy.


I'll leave you with an accurate representation of this challenge, courtesy of one Kermit the Frog.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo credit! Hey - if you're looking for food photog inspiration, check out my friend Isabelle's food blog.

    http://messycook.blogspot.com/

    She also happens to have some really good veg recipes too, which doesn't hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly. I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete