Monday, May 31, 2010

Foreign Film

Hey all,

I started movie week off with a foreign film. It's called Everlasting Moments, or Maria Larssons eviga ögonblick, and it's Swedish.




Mother of seven and wife of a drunk, abusive husband, Maria suffers greatly from many harsh indignities until her life is changed forever by the discovery of a new talent; photography. After devoting her entire life to her husband, children and work as a cleaning lady, photography becomes the only outlet Maria has in expressing herself and finding her own identity.

It's set in Sweden at the turn of the 20th century and the filmmakers do a great job in recreating the time period. The actors, especially Maria Heiskanen (who plays Maria), are phenomenal. Although many parts are difficult to watch, ultimately, it's a story of hope, determination and capturing the beauty of life. I really don't want to give it away because I recommend watching it yourself.



Swedish is one of my favorite languages to listen to, and I've really been missing it, so it was great to watch a Swedish movie. Part of it is set in Malmö, Sweden, where my dear friend, Tinna lives, and one character is from Odense, Denmark, where I've traveled to. It was cool to have a bit of a personal connection to the film.

Please give me suggestions for comedy, sci fi/fantasy, romance, horror, documentary and animated movies for later in the week!

Love ya!

3 comments:

  1. Possibly The Cove for documentary? I've heard it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For animated, Up (if you want to bawl your eyes out) or How to Train Your Dragon if you're looking for something really really good and also recent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should post the trailers for these if you can find them online. That would be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete