Friday, May 28, 2010

A café a day keeps the doctor away

Happy Friday!

I've had two lovely café days in a row.

I stumbled upon yesterday's haunt by accident and boy, am I glad I did. It's called The Green Grind and it just opened earlier this year. As far as coffee shops go, they are one of the best I've seen in trying to reduce their carbon footprint. These are just a few of their great efforts:
-The coffee, tea and food are all organic, fair trade, and locally brewed/prepared.
-The cups, cutlery and lids are biodegradable.
- It's the first (and only) coffee shop in Toronto run by Bullfrog Power, which is clean and renewable.
- They are LEED certified, meaning they aren't just greenwashing and saying their a "green" store, they actually are.
- 1% of all sales are donated to the environmental organization, 1% For the Planet.

These are just a few of the wonderful things The Green Grind is doing to help our Earth and I whole heartedly approve! It had a cute atmosphere, with one long table for people to sit and a couple of areas with comfy chairs. I had a delicious, vegan banana chocolate muffin, and a cherry Kombucha Wonder Drink. Wait, what's a Kombucha Wonder Drink? I had never heard of it either. It's basically sparkling, fermented tea. Yum. It's super good for you and is quite tasty. It tasted kind of like jamaica aguas frescas that I drank a lot of in Mexico.

The only downfall with yesterday is that I forgot my camera! Sad day. I'll be back there in the near future, so perhaps I'll post a picture of it at a later date. For you Torontonians out there, The Green Grind is located on College Street, just a few blocks west of Bathurst. Check it out.

Today, I headed back to Queen Street to a café I've walked past many times, called Quaff Café. It was quite cute inside. I had iced tea with raspberries and lemon. YUM. Those are three of my favorite things. I enjoyed it while reading Little Women. It's a book that, for some reason, I've always wanted to read, but never have. I recently found it in a book street sale for $2.50. and I couldn't not buy it.


Unlike Green Week, this is one week I could continue for a long time. One of my favorite things to do is to sit in a café and read, so this has been a very pleasant week indeed.

So long.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favorite things to do too, read a book in a nice cafe, but alas it's been too long...Whitby is not the best place for cute cafes. I love the book Little Women, the sisters are so charming!

    That raspberry lemon tea looks deeelish!

    ReplyDelete